hi.

Monday 19 April 2010

of card readers and other mischief


Card readers of title being the mechanical mechanism thingum and not the fortune tellers.
Mine is broke somethin awful.

We unscrewed its little body and glued the little mini usb thingum back in its place. Twice .Both times an insertion of usb cord resulted in said thingum coming loose again. So - till we get a new one: less recent photos, more talking. Which is a pity, since I got a smashing shot of our cucumbers earlier.

On the postive side, I'm reading Orwell's Homage to Catalonia in my spare time and stumbled across a most delightful little word:

pannikin.

How darling is that?? Pannikin! Hehehe - it makes me giggle every time. And especially when I imagine Orwell saying it. There he is, up in the mountains of Spain, whipped by the freezing wind, huddling in trenches, discussing ammunition and guard duty, politics and prep and the front lines, and then he nonchalantly drops this word. Pannikin. And I get the giggles again. Pannikin? Seriously? Hehe! I can just see them: the stalwart fellows speaking around their precious cigarettes, with their muddy knees pulled up to their chests hunched around the little olive oil lamp. "'Ey you, bloke in the corner. Toss me my pannikin, there's a lad." And all the Spaniards burst into fits of giggles.

It's definitely up there with others like ergo, defenestrate, and kabuki.

And because a post is always better with a few photos, some recent unposteds:











P.S. HAPPY FIFTIETH BLOG POST TO MEEEE!


3 comments:

  1. Happy 50th Birthday, Snipshots!!

    I love this blog. The pictures (and writing) make my life so much happier. I check it religiously, although I perhaps don't write as often. ;)

    love you,
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50--you're so ooold! Haha.

    Card reader broken! Ooooh dear.

    Pannikin, hehe.

    Pic #2 is lovely. Vivid colors--is it sooc? Knowing you, probably yes, but it's hard to believe with that clarity and color.

    Pic #last is muy coolio. Way to see the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, I'm so glad you do come and visit even if you don't comment. I always think of you and Char when I'm posting. LOVE YOU GOBS.

    Edgar - Yes, ooh dear indeed. :/ But it'll force me to clean out my photos scattered all over this old thing, which is much needed.

    #2 - Hah, no, it's not. I did some contrast editing and then major renovations of the shirt (if you click large you'll be able to tell) as I had shot straight down it and didn't notice :P I also removed a red object (sweater or something) from the corner by cloning grass over it, which is the height of bad form. But I figured after shirt reconstruction...might as well go all the way :P

    ReplyDelete

My photo
I love beautiful stuffses. please leave a comment if you pass through! (: